What does it mean???

A few years ago I decided it was time to get in shape and lose weight. I went out to find my motivation and I found it in a brand new pair of Nike running shoes. I was totally pumped. On the way home I was thinking things like, “I feel fit already! I’m totally going to be skinny because I have Nikes!”

As I sat at the stoplight on the way home with my new Nikes by my side, there was an overweight woman crossing the street on the other side of the intersection. The light turned green and the woman quickly started wiggling, running for the rest of the way. I thought, "MAN-I’m glad I don’t look like THAT when I run! Of course I don’t… I have my new Nikes!”

As I passed the woman on the street, the sun caught a shiny glint of her shoe. What was it? The Nike swoosh symbol. DANG!

It was then I came to the realization: Even FAT people have Nikes! It’s not the tools you get that make you lose weight and become who you want to be, it’s what you do with them that count. The only thing that sets us back is ourselves. Here is to making good choices and being your own motivation!

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Day One

Well folks. We have all been there- the moment you realize that you want to improve yourself and make some changes in your life. That moment came for me the week before Thanksgiving 2014.

I've never been a person who can be told what I can and can't do. I wholeheartedly believe that we as people can do ANYTHING we put our minds to. It is only our minds that limit our capabilities. I get fired up when people come to conclusions about me and my capabilities without actually knowing who I am. This happens a lot in my current circumstance. What circumstance is that? I'm obese. Because I am obese, people make assumptions. They assume I am sad. They assume I hate myself. They assume that I am not athletic or I don't care to be. They assume I'm lazy. The assumptions go on and on and on my friends. I'm here to tell you- it is not our place to pass judgments on others, especially when we haven't lived their lives and we don't know what makes them tick.

There are a lot of things I don't like about myself. I would say that it is safe to say that everyone has things they would change. I've been sad, I've hated circumstances, but I love myself. I know without a doubt that I am super! I'm awesome, someone to be loved, and even admired. I read a quote a while back that made me ponder and agree- "Most strong people are not a product of an easy story." I hope to touch on a little of my story in this blog and even inspire others so they can stand up for who they truly know they are and make some positive changes in their lives for themselves, just like I'm working on making positive changes for myself.

The day I decided it was time to start these changes probably could have been chosen better! It was the Saturday before Thanksgiving 2014. I tend to be a bit of an addict of the scale (though some think that overweight people don't care). I remember getting on the scale and texting a friend of mine that it was time to start. I thought if I could do it even through the holidays to start, when the New Year came, it can only get easier!  I went to my friends home and we discussed what I wanted to do and be, along with the motives of doing it. We weighed me in for my "first" weigh in. My all time heaviest I have ever been.

302.6- That's right. Whereas I am not proud of it, I know that it represents a start. There is hope of things to come, and that they can only get better! I know that this blog is a little delayed on time, it gives me a little space to contemplate the changes going on and what I can pull out of it to inspire myself and others, but I invite anyone who reads this to join a journey with me. Maybe I will catch it up to present day. Whatever goals you have that make you want to make changes, whatever accomplishments you want to acheive- whatever your deepest desire... join me.  I'm here to tell you, you can do it. I know I can. Do you know YOU can?

Until next post- here are my AWESOME before pictures! I weigh in officially every two weeks- Becoming not so focused on the scale, but taking time to focus on my choices and myself. There may not be a picture every time, but I will try!

                        
So here I am! First weigh in, and only good things to come! Good luck in your journey as I hope you can wish me luck with mine!

4 comments: