What does it mean???

A few years ago I decided it was time to get in shape and lose weight. I went out to find my motivation and I found it in a brand new pair of Nike running shoes. I was totally pumped. On the way home I was thinking things like, “I feel fit already! I’m totally going to be skinny because I have Nikes!”

As I sat at the stoplight on the way home with my new Nikes by my side, there was an overweight woman crossing the street on the other side of the intersection. The light turned green and the woman quickly started wiggling, running for the rest of the way. I thought, "MAN-I’m glad I don’t look like THAT when I run! Of course I don’t… I have my new Nikes!”

As I passed the woman on the street, the sun caught a shiny glint of her shoe. What was it? The Nike swoosh symbol. DANG!

It was then I came to the realization: Even FAT people have Nikes! It’s not the tools you get that make you lose weight and become who you want to be, it’s what you do with them that count. The only thing that sets us back is ourselves. Here is to making good choices and being your own motivation!

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blacktop is Colorful and Unique, and So Are You!

I have a lot of time to think when I go walking and running. I really like to take things around me and figure out how I can apply it to my life and the circumstances around me to see what I can take and learn from the situation.

This is a picture of one of my favorite places to walk and run.

It's a pretty and large park with a blacktop path around it, surrounded by trees and a huge grass field in the middle. Nothing extraordinary, just plain ugly blacktop I walk on, right?

The other morning I was walking and the wind made the cold just a bit more bitter and chilling. I had my face down trying to shield myself from the cold and found myself staring at the black top. So often people just see it as one large roadway of black. Not anything beautiful by any means, but when I took a moment to look a little closer, this is what I found.
 Blacktop is made up of some pretty PRETTY stuff! There are pink rocks, shiny rocks, smooth, sharp, small, larger- some even sparkle when the sun hits it just right. 

So here is the comparison. I think so often we think of the world like the blacktop. There are millions of people on it and we are just another person (or just a little rock in a piece of blacktop). I am here to tell you, take a closer look at yourself! You are not JUST another person, let alone just another FAT person! You are unique and beautiful! All of us make up the world full of people, but each rock piece making up blacktop means something, as do you! 

I find that others generalize and stereotype people way too much. Often we hear about the gender or racial stereotyping, but not a lot of people talk about the stereotyping of people that are overweight. Some of my favorites include fat people being lazy, or fat people aren't as intelligent and are spoken to with arrogance. Or of course my favorite when people assume that because another is overweight, they are incapable. Everyone is made up of the same stuff. We have hearts, and souls, and minds. We are unique and we are beautiful in our own ways.  

This road I walk on, I see all sorts of people. Yesterday, for example, I was there for hours. I saw older people do a lap, or young and fit people go for a little bit. I saw males and females. Some were faster than myself, some were slower. I don't think what mattered was the speed or how long we went (though I must say I didn't leave with another person still going, everyone I saw came and left and I was still trudging on jamming to my music!), what mattered was that we were all there. We were all trying to gain something for ourselves by being there. Not everyone goes to lose weight, or stay fit, some just enjoy the alone time and the feeling they get being at one with nature for a few minutes. Some like the fresh air and vitamin D from the sun.  Some are on a journey like myself. I can never decide if I should call this a journey or a a "move"ment. Haha!

The point is, and to sum it up- don't feel like you blend in and don't matter. Your story, your body, your personality.. . YOU.. are beautiful, unique, and colorful. It is ultimately your decision if you sparkle in the sun or are viewed as an ugly piece of blacktop. What have you done for yourself lately to feel that desire deep in your chest be able to come out and bloom? My friends, I tell you- we are worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment